Thursday, July 2, 2015

Chemo Treatment - Round #1

Very Interested in the port at the moment


Tuesday June 30, 2015 9:00am, I began my Cancer Treatment.  My infusion began at 9:00am and was a process to say the least. An hour prior to eating breakfast I had to take a pill for my stomach. An hour before the chemo infusion I had to rub Lidocaine cream on my port so that it would numb the area for when the nurse sticks in the needle for IV.  When I arrive at my appointment all the preliminaries take place: The nurse made her introduction, weighed me, took me to the treatment area where there are several cozy pockets of space for each patient, took my blood pressure, made sure I was comfortable, brought me a warm blanket (Man I love those warm blankets!)

The day prior to Chemo Day I was a mess. June 29, 2015, I was so nervous my stomach was like a spin coaster rearing at high Gravitron speeds. (Yes, that wonderfully classic fair ride where if you were not the one barfing up chunks you undoubtedly were witness to someone doing so. At the very least your nose would smell that horrific vomit smell from another patron on the ride.) My tummy was maneuvering in epic somersaults this day. I earned my frequent flier miles for bathroom services that is for sure! Nerves....All chalked up to Nerves.

Back to Chemo Day. Now 9:52am, I sat in my over sized comfy recliner with my snugly warm blanket, a small television,  coffee, books, journal, word search, water and hubster by my side. At one point I could see my husbands eyes get a little red rimmed. As though for a split second he was taking in the seriousness of the situation before realizing that he needs to be strong for me. For us. In this moment, I had a gentle inward reminder of why I have and will always be the one who portrays the strength outwardly. Inside, I could be an avalanche falling to pieces but on the outside I need to remain strong.  For him. For us.


My nurse gave me a pill to help alleviate the nerves I was experiencing. I even had the pleasure of a complimentary neck and shoulder massage prior to the infusion. Now that is service in my book!
My nurse, Nurse S explained everything very thoroughly and was the sweetest. She prepped the port area with a sterile cleaner and had me take a deep breath when she counted 1..2..3.. Deep breath and exhale as I felt the pinch of the needle and IV being placed. Not so bad but felt it for sure.
Next came a saline flush. The IV also had a water bag line attached to filter with the chemo. I received Pepcid via IV for my stomach and an IV of an anti nausea medicine EMIN. All of this took about an hour and a half. Then, the first chemo drug infusion was Adromycin. A reddish orange Kool Aid, or as the pharmacists referred to as strawberry daiquiri concoction. This was a 30 minute infusion. As I sat I wore stylish nursing gloves and soaked my nails in ice water to try to prevent any discoloration of the nail beds from the chemo. Not my favorite thing to do I have decided.  I can always opt for a darker polish. During this 30 minute infusion the pharmacists walks over and discusses possible side effects and how to try to avoid them on my end. He explains that the cocktail of pre-administered anti-nausea meds are the best that they have had experience with. They would be happy to try an alternate cocktail if the need arises but they have the best outcome from what they have administered to me. My job is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We are talking a gallon of fluid. He explains to take my pills for nausea at the first sign of discomfort because once I get to that stomach bug feeling, it is too late and there will be little they could do for me. He continues to explain that my urine will be reddish orange for the following two days. Again, explaining that the more fluid I take in the easier it will be for the chemo drugs administered to flow out of my body allowing me minimal side effects.
My Kool Aid Daiquiri
So happy to be done with the ice torture

Thirty minutes come and gone. I am relieved to take my finger tips out of the frozen waters. Next is my second chemo infusion, Cytoxan. This infusion took an hour and was a clear fluid. Once this drug began I felt a slight cramping in my lower left belly quadrant. Towards the end of this infusion I experienced a burning feeling in my nose and sinuses. Felt similar to when you have a head cold and you feel that pressure in your nose or when you get water from the pool up your nose. Before detaching my IV, Nurse S gives me some water via IV simply to help hydrate. She recommends us purchasing the alkaline water from Trader Joe's for added benefit.

When all is said and done I am out at 1:30pm, fully loaded on my IV daiquiri, Clear liquid drug, Anti-Nausea meds, water, coffee, lunch (which was provided in the treatment room), I have peed orange several times and am not feeling bad at all.

After Chemo, I was ready for a snack because I had eaten lunch around 11:30am. I grabbed a PB Chocolate smoothie from Jamba Juice, merely thinking that I needed some protein. Bad choice. Around 4:30pm I felt super nauseous. The kind of nausea that you just are awaiting the next set of actions to take place. The nausea that hits you hard and has you spitting in the toilet because you can't stop foaming at the mouth. Yeah, No Fun! I felt a little dizzy and a bit like passing out. I took my anti-nausea pill and laid down. No actual vomit action to my surprise and appreciation. I will take the nausea over actual act of throwing up ANY Day! Hell, Ill take Diarrhea Cha Cha Cha over praying to the porcelain goddess ANY day!! Just saying. We all have our preferences in EVERYTHING.


Wednesday July 1, 2015 at 2:00pm I went back to receive an injection in my belly to help aid in the process of replenishing the white blood cells the chemo has depleted in my body. This is all very scientific you know. Where is Bill Nye when you need him? This appointment took all of 30 minutes tops. I received a shot in my belly, some reading material, information from Nurse S and I was out the door. Possible side effects are: bone aches similar to that of the flu and susceptibility to infection. Took a Claritin prior to injection to help aid in the inflammation, also took Advil when I got home to help with the bone pain ahead of time. Day 2-4 I am to take Advil for pain and a daily Claritin on top of everything else.

Looking Back:

When I was taking my treatment I saw women of all ages. I was probably the youngest, but there were women that looked maybe  to be in their 40's, 50's and older. I exchanged some understanding smiles. I also was witness to the staff singing and serenading patients for their last treatment. The staff gathers and sings (similar to the birthday serenade one may be given at a restaurant) they give the patient a certificate and balloons. It is really the sweetest send off. I congratulated two patients in passing by between my two days of appointments. Their faces were just lit up! All I could think of is whether or not I will cry when my time comes. Happy tears of course!


Why I am opting-No Wig



Some Fun/interesting Facts:

-I brush my teeth anywhere from 4-6 times a day now and use two different toothpastes
-I rinse my mouth in between brushing with salt and warm water (if Home) - This is to help prevent   mouth sores that the Chemo could cause
-When out of the house I rinse with alcohol free mouthwash after meals
-I have to flush the toilet twice from day 1-4 to prevent the chemo chemicals from lingering in the toilet
-I not only carry mouthwash in my purse now, but also: hand sanitizer, eye drops and anti nausea pills
-I wash my hands OCD- monk style because apparently I am more susceptible to infection from day 4-12
Why I am opting a hat
(Day 1=Chemo treatment, Day 2=injection, Day 3...so on)
-I will have to bring back memories of Michael Jackson and wear a face mask while in public places. If you see me, No I do not have an infectious disease. I am merely trying to prevent and take any and all precautions to assure I do not acquire your infectious diseases!
-I will undoubtedly become a germaphobe during this process
-I am at risk for Lymphedema forever-What does this mean? NO heavy lifting, no picking up my littles, no push ups, weights, when flying I have to wear a special sleeve, etc.  :(
-I eat Popsicles for a snack (eating one right now)
-I still have my hair


With Love and Hugs,
Heather :)

No comments:

Post a Comment