Monday, July 1, 2013

The News and The Delivery

During my entire pregnancy with my son I felt so great. I had none of the typical Pregnancy issues that most women complain of. I had nausea here and there but never actual got sick. I felt so good, I really was contemplating becoming a surrogate. I even had the conversation with my husband. I had headaches beginning in my second trimester but just started incorporating coffee into the mix again. I am by no means a coffee addict, but do have 1 cup a day. I did experience the swelling in the legs and feet. I gained a total of 40 pounds. Starting at 130 lbs and ending at 170 lbs. Really no big complaints, thankfully.

It was so far so good during the beginning of the pregnancy. No morning sickness, just a little nausea here and there. All that was about to change. I started seeing one OB when I found out I was pregnant. I was referred there, but was not happy with either of my first three experiences. So, I went to a new OB, again by referral of a friend. It was the first time I had ever had a male OB and wanted to meet the doctor first. So I scheduled my consult. Dr. Stempel was a friendly and energetic doctor with a contagious zest and energy. I was extremely happy and content with my decision to continue my prenatal care with this doctor and his office. All my visits were pleasant, the staff was efficient and friendly.

On January 31, 2011 My husband, my mother in law and I went to the Doctor's office to get an ultra sound done. The appointment went as normal. We went into the room and the ultrasound tech did her scanning of my belly. The scan was complete and it was confirmed that we were having a baby boy. Then, the ultrasound tech left the room. We didn't think anything of it because we really didn't know any better. I just thought she was getting the doctor so he could see us and look over the ultrasound. This day would be the day that Dr. Stempel's tone was different. It was the first time my husband was meeting the Doctor.  I had told him how funny, and charismatic he was. Unfortunately, today Dr. Stempel did not enter our room with his normal spunk. He came into the room very matter of fact and told us: Our son had either 1 of 2 genetic defects. 1. Gastroschisis or 2. Omphalocele.

Well, in our sons case it turned out he had an Omphalocele. He basically had a sac attached to his belly button and some organ or organs were inside the sac as they did not properly transfer into his abdomen.  

When we first got the news, my husband took it harder than I did. I knew in my heart that everything would be okay, and kept faith in that. I never broke down or stressed out. I really made a decision that this was out of my control and breaking apart would do nothing to benefit the situation nor change the fact that we were indeed going thru this. 

From that appointment on, beginning my second trimester and up until we delivered I saw another Doctor within the same practice and the Perinatologist on a very regular basis. Unfortunately, Dr. Stempel had passed due to a massive heart attack. From what I heard Dr. Stempel had a enormous showing at his funeral. This just confirmed how great and charismatic he was. He was indeed loved.(R.I.P.) 
I was a little nervous about having a new doctor in the mix but was happy once I met him and began seeing him. He made us feel very comfortable, considering the circumstances. 

I had to get a amniocentesis to test for other genetic disorders associated with the defect. This was super scary and I had a bit of an anxiety attack prior to. I couldn't stop shaking. All turned out normal in the test results, which was a huge relief.

It was actually quite nice to go to the doctors offices so often because I received oodles of ultra sound photos which helped ease my mind. It confirmed that Grayson was doing well and was healthy. On top of the OB, and Perinatologist we had to see a pediatric surgeon as well as a pediatric cardiologist prior to delivery. Grayson had to receive surgery to remove the Omphalocele and it was unclear how serious the defect was until delivery approached. Grayson also had a heart murmur and had to follow up with testing for heart defects associated with the Omphalocele. 

It was a whirlwind of doctors and information, extremely overwhelming being that this was our first pregnancy and already had zero expectations of the whole process. To throw all of this into the mix was nerve wrecking. All the while though I kept my cool. I knew he would be okay. All I could do was maintain faith that he would be a healthy baby despite all that was against him.

At 38 Weeks it was time to see our little man. We were scheduled for a C-Section due to the fact that we were having a high risk pregnancy and Grayson required immediate surgery after birth. We had to delivery at a level 3 hospital, Memorial Regional. Joe DiMaggio's Children's Hospital was attached to the Hospital which was where the Pediatric Surgeon was located. 



My nervous husband and I headed to the Hospital at the wee hours of the morning to be prepped for my surgery. I really had no real clue what I was in for. I was prepped and given my Foley (extremely uncomfortable by the way) and taken into the OR. I had a student administer my Spinal which for the record I was not informed of. I was informed she would be assisting, however, I thought that meant observing and handing over the needle etc. To my unpleasant surprise it meant she was administering the Spinal. All I kept hearing, while hunched over was the actual anesthesiologist telling her, "no, no now try again." and "that is why you have to get it into the right spot." Here I am back curled up like a feline and already nervous about a needle going into my back and I hear this conversation in the mix of it all!!! On top of all that , my doctor and the anesthesiologist had an argument about when to allow my husband in the room. Ummm...hello! I am numb not knocked out! My eyes and ears work! This was also a little unsettling to experience right before getting cut open! I did not feel a thing from the neck down. Even when my doctor told me I may feel a little pressure - Nothing. 

Just a little after 8:00am on June 8th, 2011 our baby boy was out and healthy. He weighed   7lbs 6oz and was 18 inches. I didn't even get  to hold him as he was whisked off to surgery. Then, off to recovery I went. It was a whole day before I got to see my baby boy. He was immediately whisked into surgery. Thankfully, we had the head of the pediatric surgery department do the actually surgery. Dr. Julie Long was phenomenal. His stomach was/is beautiful. You would never be able to tell he had abdominal surgery. She informed us that he did well during surgery and that the organs in the sac were his intestines. Apparently, the appendix was blocking them from entering the abdomen. In Grayson's case it was a small sac and not a major organ. 

Prepped for Surgery
After Surgery
  
Grayson still had a ways to go before he was clear. He was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks. He was Jaundice - requiring the special lamp and he had a bit of trouble keeping food down on his own. Although, he was the healthiest baby in NICU by far, no one wants to have there little baby in NICU, PERIOD! He was monitored for signs of infection and until he could keep his food down on his own, he couldn't come home. 



After 3 days I was released from the hospital with no baby in arms. That is really quite difficult! I had a rough few days, but thanks to friends and family was able to go to the hospital every day to be with Grayson. It was difficult to leave him every night but the situation did allow me to get some sleep which helped with my healing process.




When finally home, the health issues were not over. Grayson had to follow up with the pediatric cardiologists, but the murmur eventually did close up on its own. He had one kidney larger than the other and had to receive a follow up Ultrasound to make sure the kidney was performing its duties properly. He had to see a genetic doctor , who tested for other genetic disorders associated with his condition, and all tests were clear. We had a good first year of frequent trips to the ER for vomiting and fever type of concerns. Seeing as he had abdominal surgery we were never 100 percent certain if something was wrong with his stomach or he was just sick. He experienced several overnight stays in the ER, had 2 spinals done, a catheter, and several other tests. The poor thing is too familiar with the Hospital. We were always safe with any issues or concerns we had. Grayson had reflux for the first year of his life and took medication for it for the first year as well. A lot of nights he slept in his bouncer and once older we had to prop up his crib mattress.
Finally Home!
2 Month Doc Appointment
 
When all is said and done, we experienced  quite a bit for our first pregnancy, but were extremely fortunate compared to others situations. Grayson only has a small hernia at the belly button that currently does not affect him. At any point in his life, the possibility of a intestinal issue is indeed a factor. However, for now he is a very Happy, Healthy, Energetic, and Loving Two Year Old. I couldn't ask for anything more.


Grayson Now



No comments:

Post a Comment