Monday, July 28, 2014

Potty Training - Milestone or Nightmare

Don't let this sweet face fool you!
I am wondering whether Potty training is supposed to be a great achievement or just a big test of Mommie's Patience! G-man is now on day 5 of "Potty Training."  He really has the lead on this because I have not ever wanted to force this on him, just my preference. G-man has always been the type of baby/toddler to do each milestone step his way and when he is darn ready! He came home early one day after playing at the park (He must have been almost 2 or shortly thereafter). I thought, Wow! He is really doing this whole potty training thing early. This should be a breeze!

HA! BIG FAT HAIRY NASTY ANNOYING HA!!!

Ever since that out of the blue day of G-Man using the potty on his own accord. I prepared. We switched from diapers to pull ups. We purchased a trainer seat for our toilet and a little potty, fit for him, to keep in the bathroom. I read all the do's and dont's. Then, I just let him take the lead. Well, at that time he must have just been experimenting because he was not ready.

Now flash ahead a year and a few months. Last week he decided he wanted to wear his big boy underwear (stocked from a year ago). He woke up last Thursday morning and protested that he was ready to wear Big Boy Underwear! So, I happily obliged thinking to myself, "Thank goodness! He will not be the lone 3 year old still in pull ups when he begins in his 3's class this upcoming school year." AND "One down. One to go!"
So, I hid the few pull ups we had left in our closet and we began this exciting new adventure and milestone. For the first 3 days he did amazing! Only having an actual true accident one to two times tops. Also, he was out of the house for very long periods of time and didn't have any accidents while out. BUT THEN.............................. here stroll days 4 and 5 (today). He used the potty but more than not decided to pee all over the house. Then proceeded to take a dump on the floor. Now, I know that I am not supposed to get angry because then he will start to feel pressure and inadequate/discouraged etc. SOOOOOOOOOO.
Like the commercials you see on t.v. G-Man will say, "Mommy, I went Pee Pee (or Poopy)~!"
I reply after noticing where, "Oh. Okay. Let's clean up and get you new Big Boy Underwear." I am always calm and non reactionary about it. Even when he quite intentionally pulled off his pants and popped a squat on our bedroom floor to take a dump ...seconds after I had already asked if he needed to use the potty! I have not yelled or screamed even after walking into our bedroom to find him in our closet, standing, taking aim and pissing all over the floor stating with giggles , "Mommy I went Pee Pee!" I have not been angry with him even after I will ask if he needs to go potty and I know he does but he will tell me no then proceed to whichever part of the house he deems fit and pee all over.

So can someone please tell me where is the line between accidental and purposeful when it relates to potty training?  How long before the piss and crap all over the place "stage" becomes less entertaining for him and the regimen of "normal" potty antics take place again? I quite literally have a rag and a cleaner attached to my hip.

The Joys of  Mama-hood : ~ )

Happy Monday!!!

~ Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment