Thursday, October 24, 2013

Women Empowerment at its Best


For about 2 1/2 years now I have wanted to take a defense class of some sort. It has kinda always been on my bucket list, or a list I much rather refer to as: my Really Like to Do at some point in my life when I have the time and/or Money! I first heard of the R.A.D class when I was pregnant with my son in 2011. I couldn't enroll due to being pregnant and then LIFE HAPPENS. The next time I thought about taking the class I was pregnant with Starr. Finally, this October I was registered with a friend.

I was diagnosed back in 2009/2010 with  neurocardiogenic syncope. Pretty much when I moved from the small city I grew up in to a larger Metropolis area, (South Florida) big changes happened in my life. First of all I moved away from everyone and everything I was accustomed to and familiar with. I transferred from my corporate job to a job near where my new residence was, but was laid off (just after purchasing our first condo.) From that point on it was one stressful challenge after another. I began experiencing severe Anxiety and Panic Attacks, though at the time they began had no clue what they were. I thought I was having a heart attack, on more than one occasion. I remember the first occurrence. I was driving to work jamming out to the radio feeling just fine and dandy. Then, Pow, Bam...What The Hell! My heart was pounding, my palms immediately started to go pale and sweaty, I was pale and sweaty and I felt the tunnel vision come on. I thought I was going to pass out while at the wheel. I was scared, afraid that I was going to have a massive heart attack. Another instance I was at my office, walking down the hall and BAM...Sweats and tunnel vision. I had to get on the ground and ask one of the managers for help because I felt the syncope coming on. Another time I went to the bathroom and when I came out I passed out on the floor. Again, the heart racing, Heart Attack feeling, intense cold sweats and tunnel vision. It has happened while at a friends house in a comfortable atmosphere, where I would have no reason to be anxious, At the bank, grocery store etc.
I finally had to see a cardiologist for a stress test and a table tilt test. Guess What? I had a panic attack so bad once they hooked me up to the monitors for my stress test, they couldn't begin because my heart was racing too fast! As for my table tilt test, failed with flying colors. I lasted 2 seconds when typically people go for at least 2 minutes before experiencing symptoms. It was then that they diagnosed me and put me on anti anxiety medication. The doctor was unsure whether the neurocardiogenic syncope was causing all of the anxiety and panic attacks or vice versa. Thankfully, during my pregnancy with G-Man I was off the drugs and symptom free. However, with my daughter, probably due to all the stress during my pregnancy, I had an encounter with the anxiety again.

Why did I babble about my anxiety and panic attacks.....well....the first night of R.A.D was easy peasy, literature, and information. The second night of class, that wicked evil anxiety snuck up on me. In a room full of women all ages and police officers,  a theoretically safe place, here I am pulse increasing and sweaty palms. Why? Merely because I was anxious and had no clue what to expect. I began asking myself......What did I get myself into?.....What did I consent to?....Can I do this?....How Intense is this experience going to be? THE ANSWER:

It was Empowering, Fun, Educational, and I HIGHLY recommend for any female who is even the least bit curious. For me personally, I wanted to feel the strength and awareness that came from taking this class. Trust me, I did not feel this at all beforehand. Not to mention the confidence. I can't give away the secrets but here is the gist.

You attend one class weekly for a month, you are educated and taught, enlightened and empowered, given tools and exercising them. Your final night is your fight night! A chance to combine all that you have learned and overcome any fears...In my case Anxiety and overall helplessness. It is recorded so that you can watch how well you did. Believe me ladies, you will do awesome!

I walked away knowing what I am capable of, what I can work on,  feeling stronger, what I need to be more aware of, feeling confident, and now have the knowledge to be a survivor. I now know that for me personally, I CAN fight thru that anxiousness or feeling of helplessness and SURVIVE! I can only pray that I am never put into a dangerous situation where I will have to use the tools I acquired from this class. However, thanks to the R.A.D program I know now that I, like Katy Perry, have the Eye of The Tiger!

I suggest that every woman look for this program in your area, or a similar one. In my area there was a nominal fee that was returned upon completion of the class, with a certificate :)  Bonus - you can come back and practice the skills you learned in another class. Should you have to pay a nominal fee, what you gain is priceless.

My Gal Pal, Dawn - All suited up
Pumped up!






1 comment:

  1. I've been dying to read this and somehow missed it!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH! You look so tough, haha! I'm so excited you did this. I really should, but I'm so scared (I know, I know).

    ReplyDelete